THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA LIBRARIES
Research & Instructional Services Librarian
The University of Alabama seeks a forward-thinking librarian with innovative ideas for learning-centered approaches to research and instructional services. Reporting to the Head of Gorgas Information Services, this position works with campus faculty to develop instruction materials and library assignments and to identify needs and opportunities for outreach in assigned academic departments. The ideal candidate possesses a strong desire to teach and seeks out further knowledge in teaching and learning theories. They will be responsible for developing a robust instruction and outreach program, both in-person and online, while also offering software application training and support related to areas of liaison responsibilities for the disciplines assigned. This position also plans and coordinates activities for departments that support undergraduate students, such as the Capstone Center for Student Success and the Honors College, as well as participates actively in instruction for First-year Writing. This position promotes collaboration and shared information experiences among students, assists with development and implementation of assessment initiatives aimed at improving services and collections, and creates and utilizes a variety of technologies and media for the advancement of library goals and objectives. This position collaborates with a broad range of stakeholders to conceptualize, define, and deliver contemporary services in support of cutting-edge approaches in instruction and research, participating actively in in LibChat services and assessment activities. As part of the liaison role, this position will continuously create and update digital learning objects in support of teaching and learning.
This position may also provide outreach to non-academic units, such as student housing, to develop events and services that promote the University Libraries, supervise staff and students as required, and perform other duties/functions as requested. This position will assist in the management of the Information Desk, which includes hiring, training, and supervising student assistants. This position will work collaboratively within Gorgas Information Services and with Research Data Services to promote and integrate data services, data literacy, data curation, and geographic information systems into library instruction and the data services workshop series program across the disciplines. They will pursue grant writing opportunities and submission of projects relevant to the mission of University Libraries and the University of Alabama. This is an excellent opportunity for a recent graduate or early career professional to gain an expert knowledge in learning-centered approaches to research and instructional services while working collaboratively to develop and promote services and collections that support teaching and research at an R1 institution. Responsibilities of the position evolve as the library environment continues to change. The University of Alabama Libraries has recently re-envisioned the liaison program with more emphasis on outreach and seeking opportunities to work with campus faculty and students. Working in a team environment in the University Libraries, the successful candidate must be willing to continually learn, develop, and apply additional expertise through work related experiences and professional development opportunities. They must also possess the ability to deal with change, ambiguity, and complex problems in an academic setting.
• Master’s degree in Library & Information Sciences from an ALA-accredited institution.
• Knowledge of reference/instructional services in an academic library setting.
• Knowledge of trends and services in academic libraries to support undergraduate and graduate education.
• Knowledge of current and emerging trends in information literacy instruction and information technologies.
• Awareness of new and emerging technologies and how they can be utilized in an academic library.
• Ability to successfully initiate, track, and manage projects.
• Understanding of ways to market and promote instruction, collections, and services to assigned liaison areas and various groups such as the Capstone Center for Student Success, the Honors College, and the First Year Writing Program.
• Demonstration of ability, interest, and willingness to assume additional and/or new responsibilities, along with the ability to set and model high performance standards.
• Ability to conceptualize, articulate, and implement short and long-range goals.
• Ability to work independently and as a team member to solve problems, using sound judgment in decision-making according to an established timeframe
• Friendly, approachable, public service attitude.
• Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written, along with skills associated with listening, negotiating, compromising, and adapting.
• Proven interpersonal skills evidenced by the ability to work cooperatively and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, faculty, students, and staff.
• Ability to support and enhance a diverse learning and working environment.
• Additional graduate degree.
• One to three years of experience providing reference/instructional services in an academic library setting.
• Teaching experience.
• Knowledge of funding sources and organizations for grant revenues.
• Experience submitting grant proposals.
• Experience developing LibGuides, tutorials, and digital learning objects.
• Experience with Blackboard or another Learning Management System.
Prior to employment the successful candidate must pass a pre-employment background investigation.
SALARY/BENEFITS: 12 month clinical faculty appointment at the Assistant Professor rank. Salary range is $65,000-$75,000, commensurate with qualifications, experience, and advanced degrees. Strong benefits, including professional development support, tuition fee waiver, and matching retirement contributions.
TO APPLY: Applications are accepted online only at https://careers.ua.edu Click Faculty Jobs, then University Libraries. Please include your application, Curriculum Vitae, and names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three references, including one current supervisor.
Position open until filled. Applications received by September 16, 2023 are assured of receiving full consideration.
The University of Alabama is an Equal Employment/Equal Educational Opportunity Institution. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against because of their protected status. Applicants to and employees of this institution are protected under Federal law from discrimination on several bases. Follow the link below to find out more. “EEO is the Law” https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For questions regarding the search, contact Michael Arthur, Senior Associate Dean, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job please visit careers.ua.edu.