ASERL has approved a policy for cooperatively retaining print journals as a means of optimizing collection management across the consortium. The retention agreement is in effect through December 31, 2035. A group of 30 ASERL libraries and the National Agricultural Library are retaining titles under this agreement.
In September 2015, the Scholars Trust Steering Committee, in conjunction with the ASERL Board of Directors and WRLC Library Directors Council, approved a new governance structure for Scholars Trust to be implemented by February 1, 2016.
Scholars Trust Governing Council and Steering Committee, January 2021.
The current title list (Excel spreadsheet) is available here (Updated 2-1-21). Please be aware that this is a large file and may take additional time to load. A summary assessment of the collection [in pdf] is available here.
A summary report of the subject class of retained titles is available here.
A listing of titles committed for retention by the National Agricultural Library, July 2018. Titles to be added to JRNL when validation has been completed locally.
In early 2013, ASERL and the Washington Research Library Consortium (WRLC) signed an agreement to combine the contents of their respective print journal archives under a single retention and access agreement. The combined title list exceeds 8,000 journal titles and more than 250,000 volumes, making Scholars Trust one of the largest print journal repositories in the United States. At the same time, WRLC and ASERL libraries have agreed to extend reciprocal priority Inter-Library Loan (ILL) services across the group.
To participate in the program, an ASERL library need only submit a concise letter of agreement signed by the library dean (or higher authority) affirming to comply with the program policies.
Sample Letter of Agreement
- Scholars Trust Participant Survey, Summer 2018
- Policy to Address Lost/Missing Titles Committed for Retention (November 2016)
- Standards for Use of the 583 Action Note (February 2015)
- Facilities Profiles for Journal Retention and Needs Listing [JRNL]
- List of valid 1-2 Character Subject Classes for JRNL Bibliographic Records
- Subject-Specific Projects, Title Lists: Agriculture (2015, pdf), Architecture (2017, pdf)
- ASERL Journal Retention Steering Committee, Program Work Day, Meeting Notes (PDF, February 12, 2013)
- Introduction to WRLC’s Journal Archiving Program – Mark Jacobs/Bruce Hulse (PowerPoint, February 2013)
- Steering Committee Meeting, April 13, 2015 – [Recording]
Amy Wood & Marie Waltz, CRL – PowerPoint: Preparing Scholars Trust Records for PAPR and OCLC
JRNL – Journal Retention and Needs Listing
The Journal Retention and Needs Listing (JRNL) tool was first developed as a way for participating institutions to track journal retention commitments between the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries (ASERL) and Florida State University System (SUS) partners. Use of the listing tool expanded in 2013 with the formation of Scholars Trust, and again in 2015 when the Western Regional Storage Trust (WEST) adopted the software to manage their commitments. JRNL allows users to upload current journal holdings and identify particular gaps in those holdings. Further, users can determine if their institution has holdings that could be donated to other institutions to fill those gaps.
A JRNL Oversight Committee consisting of representatives from each participating consortium develops policies to guide development of and participation in JRNL.
JRNL login page: http://apps.uflib.ufl.edu/JRNL/
System Administrator Contact: JRNLDevelopment@uflib.ufl.edu
Video recordings of JRNL training webinars are also available on our Archived Webinars page:
- Journal Retention and Needs Listing [JRNL] Demo
May 15, 2019 | Session Recording
The following ASERL libraries are participating in this program:
- Auburn University
- Clemson University
- College of William & Mary
- Duke University
- East Carolina University
- Emory University
- Florida International University
- Florida State University
- George Mason University
- Georgia State University
- Georgia Tech
- Johns Hopkins University
- Louisiana State University
- Mississippi State University
- National Agricultural Library (ASERL Program Affiliate)
- North Carolina State University
- Tulane University
- University of Alabama
- University of Central Florida
- University of Florida
- University of Georgia
- University of Kentucky
- University of Louisville
- University of Memphis
- University of Miami
- University of Mississippi
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- University of South Carolina
- University of Tennessee
- University of Virginia
- Vanderbilt University
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Virginia Tech
- Wake Forest University