ASERL has approved a policy for cooperatively retaining print journals as a means of optimizing collection management across the consortium. The retention agreement is in effect through December 31, 2035. A group of 25 ASERL libraries are retaining titles under this agreement. The current working title list (*.xls spreadsheet) is available here (Updated: 09-16-2014)
The program is governed by a Steering Committee consisting of one representative of each participating library and a liaison from the ASERL Board of Directors.
In early 2013, ASERL and the Washington Research Library Consortium (WRLC) signed an agreement to combine the contents of their respective print journal archives under a single retention and access agreement. The combined title list exceeds 8,000 journal titles and more than 250,000 volumes, making Scholars Trust one of the largest print journal repositories in the United States. At the same time, WRLC and ASERL libraries have agreed to extend reciprocal priority Inter-Library Loan (ILL) services across the group.
To participate in the program, an ASERL library need only submit a concise letter of agreement signed by the library dean (or higher authority) affirming to comply with the program policies.
Sample Letter of Agreement
Journal Retention Program Update (PDF, June 2014)
- Standards for Use of the 583 Action Note (August 2014)
- ASERL Journal Retention Steering Committee, Program Work Day, Meeting Notes (PDF, February 12, 2013)
- Introduction to WRLC’s Journal Archiving Program - Mark Jacobs/Bruce Hulse (PowerPoint, February 2013)
- Shared Print Management – Recommendations for Use of the MARC 583 to Document the ASERL Retention Agreement – Cheryle Cole-Bennett/John Burger. (PowerPoint, February 2013)
JRNL – Journal Retention and Needs Listing
The Journal Retention and Needs Listing (JRNL) tool was developed as a way for participating institutions to track journal retention commitments between the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries (ASERL) and Florida State University System (SUS) partners. It allows users to upload current journal holdings and identify particular gaps in those holdings. Further, users can determine if their institution has holdings that could be donated to other institutions to fill those gaps.
A JRNL Oversight Committee consisting of representatives from each participating consortium develops policies to guide development of and participation in JRNL.
JRNL login page: http://apps.uflib.ufl.edu/JRNL/
System Administrator Contact: JRNLDevelopment@uflib.ufl.edu
The following ASERL libraries are participating in this program:
- Auburn University
- Clemson University
- College of William & Mary
- Duke University
- East Carolina University
- Emory University
- Georgia Tech
- Louisiana State University
- Mississippi State University
- North Carolina State University
- Tulane University
- University of Alabama
- University of Florida
- University of Kentucky
- University of Louisville
- University of Memphis
- University of Mississippi
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- University of South Carolina
- University of Tennessee
- University of Virginia
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Virginia Tech
- Wake Forest University