ASERL has approved a policy for cooperatively retaining print journals as a means of optimizing collection management across the consortium. The retention agreement is in effect through December 31, 2035. A group of 29 ASERL libraries are retaining titles under this agreement. The current title list (*.xls spreadsheet) is available here (Updated: 5-29-15).
The program is governed by a Steering Committee consisting of one representative of each participating library and a liaison from the ASERL Board of Directors.
In early 2013, ASERL and the Washington Research Library Consortium (WRLC) signed an agreement to combine the contents of their respective print journal archives under a single retention and access agreement. The combined title list exceeds 8,000 journal titles and more than 250,000 volumes, making Scholars Trust one of the largest print journal repositories in the United States. At the same time, WRLC and ASERL libraries have agreed to extend reciprocal priority Inter-Library Loan (ILL) services across the group.
To participate in the program, an ASERL library need only submit a concise letter of agreement signed by the library dean (or higher authority) affirming to comply with the program policies.
Sample Letter of Agreement
- Standards for Use of the 583 Action Note (February 2015)
- ASERL Journal Retention Steering Committee, Program Work Day, Meeting Notes (PDF, February 12, 2013)
- Introduction to WRLC’s Journal Archiving Program - Mark Jacobs/Bruce Hulse (PowerPoint, February 2013)
- Steering Committee Meeting, April 13, 2015 – [Recording]
Amy Wood & Marie Waltz, CRL – PowerPoint: Preparing Scholars Trust Records for PAPR and OCLC
JRNL – Journal Retention and Needs Listing
The Journal Retention and Needs Listing (JRNL) tool was first developed as a way for participating institutions to track journal retention commitments between the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries (ASERL) and Florida State University System (SUS) partners. Use of the listing tool expanded in 2013 with the formation of Scholars Trust, and again in 2015 when the Western Regional Storage Trust (WEST) adopted the software to manage their commitments. JRNL allows users to upload current journal holdings and identify particular gaps in those holdings. Further, users can determine if their institution has holdings that could be donated to other institutions to fill those gaps.
A JRNL Oversight Committee consisting of representatives from each participating consortium develops policies to guide development of and participation in JRNL.
JRNL login page: http://apps.uflib.ufl.edu/JRNL/
System Administrator Contact: JRNLDevelopment@uflib.ufl.edu
Video recordings of JRNL training webinars are also available on our Archived Webinars page:
- “Demonstration of JRNL Software for ASERL’s Journal Retention Program”
May 9, 2013 Session Recording
- “Managing your J-Retain Titles in Journal Retention and Needs List (JRNL) Software” October 18, 2013 Session Recording
The following ASERL libraries are participating in this program:
- Auburn University
- Clemson University
- College of William & Mary
- Duke University
- East Carolina University
- Emory University
- Georgia Tech
- Johns Hopkins University (joining July 1, 2015)
- Louisiana State University
- Mississippi State University
- National Agriculture Library (Affiliate Member)
- North Carolina State University
- Tulane University
- University of Alabama
- University of Florida
- University of Georgia
- University of Kentucky
- University of Louisville
- University of Memphis
- University of Miami
- University of Mississippi
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- University of South Carolina
- University of Tennessee
- University of Virginia
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Virginia Tech
- Wake Forest University