Tuesday, November 28, 2017
12:00 p.m. – 2:45 p.m.
OPTIONAL: ASERL Meeting with GPO Leadership: Guidance for Regional Depositories to share responsibilities and Existing Shared Regional Models (PDF format). [See also: PPT slides] Open at all ASERL members as desired. Sonesta Hotel.
3:15 p.m. – 5:15 p.m.
ASERL Board of Directors Meeting. Meeting materials provided to Board members via email.
Wednesday, November 29, 2017
8:45 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
OPTIONAL Tour of Green Library, Florida International University.
OPTIONAL Boxed lunches – Sonesta Hotel.
1:00 p.m. – 1:15 p.m.
Welcome & Introductions – Bob Fox, ASERL President
Members’ News & Announcements
1:15 p.m. – 2:45 p.m.
Discussion: Ways ASERL Libraries can – Separately and Together – Support Digital Scholarship. Facilitated by Joan Lippincott (CNI) & Toby Graham (U-Georgia).
** Attendees are urged to read the ECAR/CNI publication before the meeting begins: “Building Capacity for Digital Humanities: A Framework for Institutional Planning” (https://library.educause.edu/resources/2017/5/building-capacity-for-digital-humanities-a-framework-for-institutional-planning) **
2:45 – 3:00 p.m.
3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Digital Scholarship Discussions, continued.
4:00 p.m. Recess for the Day
Depart Sonesta Hotel for University of Miami
Otto G. Richter Library Tours & Members’ Reception.
5:15 p.m. – 6:45 p.m.
Members’ Reception – University of Miami Richter Library
Richter Library Mini Tours (15 minutes each):
* 5:30pm: Cuban Heritage Collection treasures
* 5:45pm: UM Learning Commons initiative presentation
* 6:00pm: Special Collections treasures and Kislak Center
* 6:15 p.m. – First bus returns to Sonesta Hotel
* 7:00 .p.m – Last bus returns to Sonesta Hotel
Evening – Dinner on your own. See sign-up sheets for dining groups. Please sign up by 3:00pm.
Thursday, November 30, 2017
8:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.
Continental Breakfast – Sonesta Hotel.
8:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m
Review / Discussion: Draft ASERL Values Statement on Diversity & Inclusion, Ideas for Future D&I Programming – Carrie Cooper (William & Mary), Anne Cooper Moore (UNC Charlotte), Tim Pyatt (Wake Forest)
9:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
Update on Legal Actions at LSU & GSU – Will Cross (NCSU, via conference call), Jeff Steely (GSU).
Update on VIVA Study of Package Usage – John Ulmschneider (VCU)
9:30 a.m. – 9:45 a.m.
Break / Hotel Check-out
9:45 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.
Presentation / Discussion: Initial Results from ASERL Salary Survey. Roger Schonfeld & Katherine Daniel (Ithaka S+R)
10:45 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
Other Issues / News & Announcements / Program Updates
* Shared Print Collections Activities – Cheryle Cole-Bennett, ASERL
** Print Journals / Rosemont Shared Print Alliance update
** Print Gov Docs
** Print Monographs
* Pros/Cons to DPLA’s Service Hub Membership Model – Tim Pyatt, Michelle Kimpton (DPLA, via conference call)
* Idea: How can ASERL libraries assist others in disaster recovery? – David Banush (Tulane), Chuck Eckman (U-Miami)
* Reactions to / Interest in “2.5% Commitment” Proposal? – John Burger
* Summary of ASERL Member Offers
11:45 a.m. – 12:00 noon
Wrap-up / Q&A / Reminders
- Volunteers needed: Nominating Committee, upcoming Board vacancies, Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
- Executive Summary — ASERL Board Planning Meeting
SAVE THE DATE: NEXT ASERL MEMBERSHIP MEETING = May 30-31, 2018 – Knoxville, TN.