[ PDF version ]
Adopted by the ASERL Board of Directors and Membership in November 2013; re-affirmed as-is in Fall 2014.
ASERL’s Mission Statement
By sharing information and technology resources, expertise, and innovation, the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries (ASERL) advances the educational and research success of students and faculty at member institutions. ASERL members believe that our libraries and institutions are better able to fulfill our individual missions through collaborative programs, and that the benefits of collaborative action can be greater than those provided by the same institutions acting independently. We believe that there is strength in unity and that unity can accommodate institutional characteristics. We understand our goals can only be achieved through our contributions to ASERL’s initiatives, momentum, and spirit.
ASERL’s Vision Statement
ASERL fosters library excellence by providing an environment of mutual trust and respect. This enables our members to develop innovative partnerships, exchange information about best practices and emerging issues, and improve services to the students, faculty, and communities they serve.
ASERL’s Strategic Directions — Fall 2017
ASERL libraries operate in an environment characterized by rapid change, opportunity, and challenge, including ever-greater demands for student and faculty success, cost efficiency and effectiveness, and anytime-anywhere access to content and services. There are two primary roles through which ASERL can benefit its members:
- Educational – to keep members up-to-date on emerging trends and issues, and lead discussions amongst members regarding possible collaborative responses.
- Programmatic – to provide programs and services that meet common operational needs.
Priority areas and activities
The Association will leverage our combined strengths to establish programs and services that meet common needs while reducing duplication of effort, individual risk, and overhead costs. These programs and services include:
- Fostering Improved Resource Sharing and Access to Collections
- Providing Educational Opportunities
- Identifying Collection Development Initiatives
- Expanded resource sharing services
- Supporting Research, Advocacy and Policy Issues
- Identifying and Implementing Leadership Opportunities and Activities
- Enabling Partnerships that Yield Value to Members
- Ensuring Organization Strength and Member Satisfaction
- Identifying New Technologies / Functionalities to Support Initiatives
- Identifying and promoting new diversity initiatives in the region and exploring participation with existing diversity programs
- Supporting improved modes of scholarly communication and data sharing