ASERL and the HBCU Library Alliance are pleased to offer the following applications for the next round of “Librarian Exchanges” with ASERL. ASERL members are asked to review the following and consider whether your library could serve as a host/mentor for one of these emerging leaders. Past ASERL participants have found they learn as much from the Exchanges as their HBCU partners – it has shown to be a very worthwhile, mutually beneficial program. We hope many of you will want to participate again this year.
2013 EXCHANGE APPLICATIONS (*.pdf format below)
- Ivy Brannen, Savannah State University (Savannah, GA) — Seeking to create an improved library orientation program for new university faculty.
- Cotina Jones, North Carolina Central University (Durham, NC) — Seeking to create a comprehensive orientation program for new library faculty.
- Rhonda McCoy, Paine College (Augusta, GA) — Seeking to expand Information Literacy programming to include online students.
- Marcella McGowan, Johnson C. Smith University (Charlotte, NC) — Seeking to explore and create assessment tools for Information Literacy activities.
- Jennifer Townes, St Augustine’s University (Raleigh, NC) — Seeking to establish an Information Literacy Council (revised)
PARTICIPATING ASERL MEMBER RESPONSIBILITIES
ASERL libraries are responsible for arranging housing and other logistical support for the librarian’s visits to the ASERL campus. ASERL liaisons are also expected to have a reciprocal visit to the HBCU campus as part of the experience. If possible, we ask that the ASERL library dean include the exchange librarian in senior-level management meetings and other activities as appropriate to give the Exchange Librarian a taste of the roles and responsibilities of a research library director. Additionally, it’s great if social activities can be scheduled to include the exchange librarian as well.
SCHEDULE & NEXT STEPS
- November 20: Posting of Exchange applicant info for ASERL members’ consideration.
- December 20: Deadline for ASERL Members to submit a statement of interest to be paired with an Exchange applicant via this form: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/22L2YZ8
- January 11: Exchange matches announced (selections are made by ASERL and HBCU Library Alliance staff)
- January 15 – February 15: Planning activities for ASERL & HBCU library partners.
- February 15 – May 15 – Exchange activities are implemented, on a schedule determined by each set of participants.
- May 15 – July 30 – Reporting & Evaluation
Please contact John Burger (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.